Hi Charles,

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I'd want to proceed with this?
  I'm starting by reading this article
(http://www.howtoforge.com/high_availability_heartbeat_centos) to see if
this will get me what I need, but if anyone has any suggestions as to
another article/reference I should look at for this, I'm all ears.  I'm
also a little concerned as this article is from 2007 and I'm thinking
there may be a better/different way for me to accomplish what I am
trying to do.

That is a bit outdated indeed. You could go with Pacemaker from http://clusterlabs.org/ as a cluster solution.

The learning curve can be rather steep but they have quickstarts for several distributions and everything is very well documented. Look for "Clusters from Scratch" for example.

Bye,
Marco.