Here is what I tell my employees and contractors to do first.

Get is working with soft certs. You will need a CA cert, a server cert and a
client cert. Then you will have test cases (and errors) you can share.

> variant of smart cards. The SSL connection is failing (Chrome
> error: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR) and I'm having problems
> diagnosing exactly where the problem is.
>
> The objective is to confirm that the user has in his
> possession a valid CAC card--at this point I don't need to
> extract the contents of the client certificate into
> environment variables and do a SSLFakeBasicAuth. If they have
> a valid CAC card, they should be able to reach the page.
>
> Subdirectory I want CAC authentication in:
>

> Code:
> <Directory /var/www/html/cac>
> SSLVerifyDepth 10
> SSLVerifyClient require
> </Directory>
>

> SSL settings:
>

> Code:
> SSLEngine on
> SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
> SSLHonorCipherOrder On
> SSLCipherSuite
> ECDH+AESGCM:DH+AESGCM:ECDH+AES256:DH+AES256:ECDH+AES128:DH+AES
> :ECDH+3DES:DH+3DES:RSA+AESGCM:RSA+AES:RSA+3DES:!aNULL:!MD5:!DSS
> SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/keys/myCertificate.crt
> SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/keys/myCertificate.key
> SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/allDoDCerts.pem
> SSLCACertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/allDoDCerts.pem
> SSLCARevocationFile /etc/pki/tls/crls/allCrls.pem

And if you are working on an accredited DoD system, you will need to run in FIPS
140 mode, which is not supported by mod_ssl, you will have to use mod_nss.

> Non-CAC https works. Client certificate authentication for
> CAC cards fails.
>
> I've retrieved the CRL list. allDoDCerts.pem is the PEM
> encoded, concatenated, root and intermediate certificates for
> the DoD CAs. I'm testing the client side on windows 8.1. In
> IE 11 I'm presented with a list of candidate certificates
> (showing that the OS and browser are contacting the smart
> card, and that the SSLCACertificateFile is doing its job of
> providing the client with a list of candidate CAs) and enter
> a PIN to access the card, suggesting the certificate is being
> retrieved from the card. The SSL connection then fails to be
> established.
>

> I can set up my own CA, add the CA's cert to the
> SSLCACertificateFile and SSLCAChainFile, create a certificate
> from that CA, and that works after I add a PKCS#12 file to Firefox.

Debug this from curl, it will make your life easier.

Ironically, IE does a nice job of presenting the server status too. Change the
require to optional, and verify the server is sending a "proper" chain.

> What can I do to trouble shoot exactly where this problem
> resides? Ideally this would be some magic that allowed me to
> see the client or the server failing to authenticate a
> certificate, so I could see exactly where the problem is.

Sorry for the half answers, its late.

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -