On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Morris, Andi <amor...@cardiffmet.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi,
> We are having some authentication issues with Apache if a user has a £
> symbol as part of their password. The error_log shows:
> (OS 1326)Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password
>
> When the same user removes the pound symbol from the password they are
> authenticated with no issues.
>
> The setup is:
> TMG publishes our Shibboleth server externally and present the user with a
> form for Forms Based Authentication. Shibboleth uses an Apache virtual
> server called Remote User to handle the authentication.
>
> The problem only occurs when the users login from outside our network, via
> TMG and the Apache Remote User vhost.
> The same TMG form is used to publish our sharepoint and other internal
> resources, and the issue does not occur there when using the same test user.
>
> The parts of the config that I can see that are relevant are:
> <Location /idp/Authn/RemoteUser>
>     AuthName "Identity Provider"
>     AuthType SSPI
>     SSPIAuth On

Have you checked with the mod_auth_sspi folks?  (mailing list or bug db)  I
suspect that this is an issue with that third-party module.  Perhaps
someone here can help, but a resource specific to mod_auth_sspi would
probably yield better results.

If you can duplicate the error with some simple httpd-bundled
authentication module (e.g., mod_authn_file), open a bug against httpd and
provide the test case.