An apache 2.2 mpm prefork site which uses an external mod_fastcgi socket to django was experiencing slowdowns during a busy period.

The main symptom seemed to be a connection delay of up to 10 seconds.

At the time I saw the machine was not heavily loaded in cpu or memory, but there were a large number of apache processes; stupidly I didn't think to count them.

Later I looked for an error message related to MaxClients exceeded or similar, but could not see any.

I have upped the MaxClients setting from 150 to 300 and in another busy period don't see the slowdown although monitoring the apache process count shows it can exceed the old limit.

The django side of this is not especially fast and the single socket connection seems like it might be a choke point, but my understanding is that the django side of the fastcgi is also spawning children to handle the requests.

What are the effects of MaxClient limit being exceeded? Should I have seen an error message if it was exceeded?
--
Robin Becker