On 8 Aug 2014, at 14:51, Rose, John B wrote:

> We have experimented with using Rewrite to replace /~someuser with /someuser

How very 1997.

> However there is a problem with systems using automounter in the case of an
> http request for a non-existing http://someserver.com/someuser

That's your filesystem.  Apache has no knowledge of whether a directory
exists until it performs a lookup.  And it's the lookup that triggers the
automount.
Check your NFS options.

Using NFS with apache - or anywhere exposed to the public 'net -
is not encouraged.  Not good for either security or performance.

> Anyone have a way to implement the above without doing undesired automount
> attempts of a non-existent "someuser"?

Most simply, make sure AllowOverride is set to None.

You could also see if mod_cache helps, and if it doesn't
then you've diagnosed a major inefficiency in your server.
But mod_cache will only reduce, not eliminate, NFS accesses.

--
Nick Kew