It's from ap_directory_walk()

            else if ((rv != APR_SUCCESS && rv != APR_INCOMPLETE)
                     || !(thisinfo.valid & APR_FINFO_TYPE)) {
                /* If we hit ENOTDIR, we must have over-optimized, deny
                 * rather than assume not found.
                 */
                ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_ERR, rv, r, APLOGNO(00036)
                              "access to %s failed (filesystem path '%s')",
                              r->uri, r->filename);
                return r->status = HTTP_FORBIDDEN;
            }