I’m upgrading an app and have copied it from a production server to my macbook
pro.
On the production server when going to the site, it requires a login.
On my mac It doesn’t and it also doesn’t get very far because it has no user in
the system.
Here’s the possibilities that I can conceive of
1. no password directory
2. something missing from the httpd.conf file telling it that this sites
requires authorization.
3. reaching the app by going to localhost/thing.cgi instead of
http:://some/thing.cgi
4. all of the above.

I’ve read about the .htaccess file, but the current production server doesn’t
seem to have it, but still require a login.

What am I missing on my mac?