As far as I know, the default has not changed since the directive was
introduced:
DefaultThe treatment of requests with trailing pathname information is
determined by the handler
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/handler.html> responsible
for the request. The core handler for normal files defaults to rejecting
PATH_INFO requests. Handlers that serve scripts, such as cgi-script
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_cgi.html> and isapi-handler
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_isapi.html>, generally accept
PATH_INFO by default.