and the httpd vhost conf details are?

please dont say standard, there is nothing standard about how ubuntu
names httpd's files and dirs

On 04/01/2015 12:19, ghalvor...@hushmail.com wrote:

> [...]
> xmlprc.php to load automatically. I would have guessed something like an
> index.php or index.html to load instead. I reinstalled wordpress, but that
> seemed to make no difference.
>
> All that is in my DocumentRoot directory is a single index.html, and that
> doesn't even load. I'm starting to wonder if this particular domain name is
> somehow tainted since the other sites seem to work just fine.
>
> What I noticed that is particularly weird is that my method for testing seems
> to be flawed. According to my method for testing via telnet gives the same
> results for all my sites, whereas testing with wget on my other site returns
> the correct page. So the lines of "get / http/1.1", "Host: example.com" seem
> to be an inaccurate test. Nothing is as it seems. I really thought I
> understood how this webserver works... I'm totally at a loss of explanation
> of why it just doesn't work; this shouldn't be so hard.
>
> So I did a 'wget example.info' and I get the correct webpage. I follow the
> same approach via telnet on port 80, as seen below, I get totally different
> results. What is wrong with this test that would give a different result from
> wget?
>
> $ telnet example.info 80
> Trying 104.236.xxx.yyy...
> Connected to example.info.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> get / http/1.1
> host: www.example.info [1]
>
> HTTP/1.1 501 Not Implemented
> Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 02:05:32 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.4.10 (Ubuntu)
> Allow: GET,HEAD,POST,OPTIONS

> <title>501 Not Implemented</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Not Implemented</h1>
> <hr>
> <address>Apache/2.4.10 (Ubuntu) Server at www.example.info [1] Port
> 80</address>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> $ telnet example.info 80
> Trying 104.236.xxx.yyy...
> Connected to example.info.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> get / http/1.1
> host: example.info
>
> HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
> Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 02:06:01 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.4.10 (Ubuntu)
> Location: http://www.example.info// [2]

> <title>301 Moved Permanently</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Moved Permanently</h1>
> [2]">here</a>.</p>
> <hr>
> <address>Apache/2.4.10 (Ubuntu) Server at example.info Port 80</address>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> On January 3, 2015 at 8:40 PM, ghalvor...@hushmail.com wrote:
> On January 3, 2015 at 7:36 PM, "Nick Kew" <n...@webthing.com> wrote: On Sat,
> 03 Jan 2015 12:19:38 -0500 ghalvor...@hushmail.com wrote: I'm making a guess
> here. Are you asking whether I assign Host: as being example.com or
> www.example.com? [3] Here's the script from each. They are slightly
> different, but the result is the same. Not actually the same ...
 Yes, I noticed that. I noticed the difference later on in composing the
message, but forgot to modify the first sentence during proofreading.

>> $ telnet www.example.com [4] 80 Trying 104.236.xxx.yyy... Connected to
>> example.com. Escape character is '^]'. get / http/1.1 Host: www.example.com
>> [4] HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 17:07:37 GMT
>> Server: Apache/2.4.10 (Ubuntu) X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.12-2ubuntu4.1
>> [6] Content-Length: 0 Connection: close Content-Type: text/html;
>> charset=UTF-8
> That redirect is issued by your PHP script.
>
>> $ telnet www.example.com [4] 80 Trying 104.236.xxx.yyy... Connected to
>> example.com. Escape character is '^]'. GET / HTTP/1.1 Host: example.com
>> HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 17:06:38 GMT Server:
>> Apache/2.4.10 (Ubuntu) Location: http://www.example.com// [7]
> ... whereas that looks like a server redirection with a stray extra slash,
> and is probably generated from your apache configuration. Decide which you
> want to use, then configure your server and your PHP to agree on it.
 That file, xmlprc.php is something generated by wordpress. I'm in no
way familiar with how wordpress works. So this may be a wordpress
configuration issue. The simplest may be to reinstall wordpress and hope
it works. I'm not sure why these two behave differently (www.example.com
[4] vs example.com) I always thought the extra four letters were
something that Apache knew how to deal with. It's hard to guarantee that
the user will user type or omit the 'www.' What should be done about
this?

 -

> commands, e-mail: users-h...@httpd.apache.org