Hi folks,

I am writing to seek explanations about some strange things we have been
seeing. In our attempt to get Apache to compress dynamic content (not static),
we turned off compression at the loadbalancer level and got dynamic compression
working with deflate module.

We’ve been testing this change using Jmeter, without and with deflate module
config, and found some interesting results with regards to latency. Latency
decreased instead of increasing slightly when we used deflate to compress
dynamic content. We noticed no significant differences in load averages in all
the multiple iterations of testing we did. Often, they were slightly higher or
about the same, and had little to zero adverse impact. We are not worried about
CPU utilization. But since apache is doing the extra work of compressing on the
fly with deflate module now, we thought latency would increase slightly. The
average response times went down because we are serving much smaller files now.
But latency(the time before first byte is sent) should have increased because
it has to do all the extra work of compressing which it didn’t have to do
before. But we see that latency went down too. It’s a good side-effect but we
are not sure what is causing it.

I am clueless why something like this could happen. Would really appreciate any
answers.

Thanks,
Nishanth