Hi Richard.
  Okay, that was exactly my question -- yes, I'm pretty confident that
that's what's happening (the page is not completely being served and
the transfer is aborted, even though from the user's perspective the
page is present and they can interact with it e.g. click off onto
another page). I just didn't know that it didn't go into the log in
that case; I assumed that it would go in with a count of the bytes
that were successfully sent.
  That leads me to my next question: Assuming that I've understood
this correctly, is there any accurate way to see what apache is
serving (even partially sent pages)? This is forming a significant
part of my traffic (i.e. apache log analysis only shows a fraction of
the visitors that google analytics tells me are present).
  Thanks,
  Andrew