So if Maxclients is less than 256 then ServerLimit is not set. In that
case ServerLimit defaults to 256? Therefore there should always be at
least 256 spots there, unless for some reason you set ServerLimit lower
than 256. Which you should not do? I am pretty sure I have seen much less
than 256 spots there somewhere along the line on some Apache server.

So the number of positions is whatever the largest value is of MaxClients
or ServerLimit if prefork. Or largest of MaxClients/MaxRequestWorkers or
ServerLimit*ThreadLimit if threaded MPM?