I now have basic authorization (under TLS) working okay, but I would
like to influence the user experience a bit via Apache behavior if
possible.

A few questions if you please:

1.  Can I modify the pop-up message?

2. Can I change the cache behavior of the access?

As it is, my Google Chrome keeps the authorization cached for a long
time unless I change settings.  I would like more control over that
server-side.

3.  Is there good book or article on clear examples for such security
issues with modern Apache?  The currently available books I have and
others I'm aware of are very old and do not address Apache 2.4.

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom