I have a domain domain.com that points to a server. Now I have a subdomain sub.domain.com that points to another server that has Apache running and Tomcat. I want this subdomain to point to a application deployed on the Tomcat instance through ajp.

I have configured the following in httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName sub.domain.com
    ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    <Proxy *>
    Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
    </Proxy>
    ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/
    ProxyPassReverse / ajp://localhost:8009/
</VirtualHost>

and in Tomcats server.xml:

|<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />

But when I go to sub.domain.com the url changes to otherdomain.com and shows me a php website running in Apache and declared as following in httpd.conf:

|<VirtualHost *:80>
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/otherdomain.com
        ServerName otherdomain.com
        ServerAlias www.otherdomain.com
</VirtualHost>

I only get it to work when I change the port in the sub.domain.com virtual host declaration to for example 8001. Then when I go to sub.domain.com:8001 it shows my tomcat application (ROOT.war) as expected.

So my question is: what could be going wrong that it doesn't work with the default port 80? I can't find any configuration that is causing this, but I'm probably missing something or is my virtual host configuration wrong?