At 09:24 AM 6/9/2015 +0100, James Smith wrote:
[snip good advice]
* For minifying CSS/JS: look at yui compressor and google closure compiler... (Use jshint to check your js to make sure that it will merge/compress OK)
   * Can use a number of build tools to do some of this auto-magically...
One possible caveat -- "mod_pagespeed" which is from Google dev (the start of this thread.) We tried it in a pre-production 2.4 environment, and while most of the output was well rewritten/minified/re-ordered, it put an enormous hit on server CPU cycles (on a very fast machine) -- to the point that end-user browser load times suffered. We had to drop it. (Note this was for a fairly complex perl/js site, so YMMV. Note also that Google do not *now* recommend it for 2.4, only 2.2, if I understand their notes correctly.)

Best -- Paul

   * Move (most) JS to the foot of the page....

Watch out with minifying HTML - there is a minor bug with most of the minifiers which which can't handle correctly ends of line after tags, and if you have gzip encoding it usually doesn't make a difference!

Finally...
* Look at your code and try and optimize your HTML { put as much presentation as possible into CSS } * Look at your JS - don't use multiple "library classes" - I have seen sites using jQuery, Scriptaculous and YUI at the same time!