>>Hello.
>>
>>I am running Apache 2.2.29 and Tomcat 7.0.59 with tomcat connector(mod_jk)
>>version 1.2.40 on AIX version 7.1 server.  Started having problems this
>>morning after AIX OS was patched to AIX 7.1 TL 03 SP 04  and openssh to
>>restarted.  However its response slowing down.  AIX server CPU steadily
>>increases and approaches 100% after running for 5 or 10 minutes under heavy
>>Tomcat server status.  Recompiled apache, tomcat connector, and Tomcat
>>native.  Still no luck.  Later determined there is a bug with openssh
>>improvement.  Just booted from Clone backup taken before the AIX patch and
>>everything  runs fine, no problems.  Anyone else have this experience with
>>AIX >>patches/updates?  Not really much to see in error logs.  Tomcat is
>>configured to run with java6 32 bit:
>>
>>IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 AIX ppc-32
>>jvmap3260sr16-20141216_227499 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
>>J9VM - 20141216_227499
>>JIT  - r9_20140523_64469ifx3
>>GC   - GA24_Java6_SR16_20141216_1020_B227499)
>>JCL  - 20141216_01
>>

>>Thank you.
>>David
>
>Just an update on this problem. Now this appears to be an issue meant for the
>Apache list, which I just sent this to.
>
>We have determined that that this problem is triggered by Apache
>server-status.   I have always used server-status to monitor our production
>system, no problem. I rarely use server-status to monitor our test system
>because >there is nothing to see there due to extremely light traffic.  But
>after the AIX patch, server-status gradually causes the sever CPU to be maxed
>out.  This problem was just duplicated on our test server.  The CPU drops back
>to >normal for that server when server-status is stopped.  Example of
>server-status URL I use in my IE 11 browser:
>https://website.com/server-status?refresh=5
>
>Has anyone else had this experience?  I guess for now, I will just have to
>stop using server-status to monitor Apache so that we can patch our AIX system.

RESOLVED:

Solved this problem by downloading and compiling the latest openssl, currently
1.0.2c, from openssl.org.  Recompiled Apache with openssl 1.0.2c.  Recompiled
Tomcat Connector and Tomcat Native too just to make sure all bases are covered.
 I'm guessing that the problem was caused by the AIX 7.1 TL 03 SP 04 update
patching  the server openssl.  This triggered the Apache
server-status/mod_status high CPU usage issue when used to monitor our https
site.

David