We're running Apache 2.2 on Debian 7 wheezy. We have approximately 24 virtual hosts. After running a few years, we saw some issues so we're reviewing the entire Apache config.

I hope this is an easy question :)

On most of the files in sites-available, there is the following code:

    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"

    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
            Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
            AllowOverride None
            Order deny,allow
            Deny from all
            Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
    </Directory>

From what I've seen, this is for reading the Apache docs, and not much else. So is this snippet of code necessary? Can I safely delete it?

Secondly,

  Just wondering, when I try http://www.mysite.com/doc ... I get Not Found.

   /Not Found/
   /The requested URL /doc was not found on this server./

And trying http://www.mysite.com/doc/ (with the slash at the end), I get:/
/

   /Forbidden/
   /You don't have permission to access /doc/ on this server.

   /

//Why would I not get access to any of the docs?

Thanks for any enlightenment.