The first thing to check is if it is an HTTPD error or a Tomcat error.
You haven't explicitly said this, but I am guessing you are using HTTPD as
a reverse proxy.
Check the Tomcat logs first. If the 413 shows up there, it is a problem
with Tomcat and not with HTTPD.

Check the HTTPD error log also to make sure the errors are actually in it.
It is also possible if there are any upstream proxies (like an office web
filter) that one of them is generating the error.

If the error is in the HTTPD logs and not in the Tomcat logs, you will
probably need to dump the traffic using mod_dumpio or tcpdump and compare a
complete and error request (mod_logio will tell you the sizes, but not the
contents - you could use it as a starting point if you don't want to dump
all the traffic).

- Y