Pardon me for answering a question with a question, but is it possible to just move the directory that you're pointing to to remove this confusion?

That is, I assume that the URL /user1 is Aliased to /home/user1/ somewhere in your configuration. Can you alias it to /home/user1/assets instead and eliminate the middle-man?

--Rich