Hello,

I am a novice website admin, running Apache 2.4.7 on a Ubuntu box. I want to be able to serve a subset of my website as http (port 80), even though the overall site is on https (port 443). I managed to convert it all to https this summer by providing links in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ to sites-available/default-ssl.conf and sites-available/http-redirect.conf. The redirect just permanently redirects everything to use https.

I tried adding another VirtualHost for port 80, with a DocumentRoot pointed at my "freely-available" subdirectory. That seemed to work, but the problem is that if somebody just browses to that subdirectory, they get a directory listing that includes a hyperlink to the parent directory. By clicking on that hyperlink, they can escape into the rest of the website using http instead of https.

I suspect there's a "proper" way to do this, but I don't know what it is. Any help, or pointers, would be appreciated.

thanks,
-Bob Montante