On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 14:52:03 -0400, you wrote:

> i run a webdav server with a number of users.
> each user has access to a private space and everybody
> has access to a common space
>
> user access their space with https://dav.example.com/Theirname
> and the common space with https://dav.klam.ca/Common
>
> to make life easier for myself and the other admins we created a apache
> macro to configure the webdav site, see below. For each user is added to
> a list that invokes the macro with their webdav space name and their userid.
>
> I want users to be able to access any space that they have username and
> password for, plus they automagically get access tot eh Common area.
>
> If Joe wants access his space he can log with his userid and has
> password and he gets accress to the areas Joe and Common, no problem.
> But if he wants then log in the Dogpound user he gets rejected with a
> message that the space is already being access under another user id.
> Why?

My guess: Because he is already authenticated for the realm
"webdev", and that login is not valid for the Doghound location.

> What to do about it?

Probably change:
        AuthName "webdav"
to:
        AuthName "webdav_%user"

(untested)
Disadvantage: You'll have to specify the user-specific realm
when adding the user/password to the access database.

--
Regards,

Kees Nuyt