On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Greenberg, Adam <adam.greenb...@fmr.com> wrote:
> Hi Bill (this is a resend to include the dev and user communities, per your
> instructions):

Sorry for any misunderstanding - this seems like a good users@ question
(with some C++ thrown in!) so I'm dropping the dev@ list. FWIW attaching
the source file as text instead of a tar file lets others quickly examine and
participate in the discussion, posts with archive attachments are often
ignored for lack of time, even if they might be interesting to other readers.

> Thanks very much for the prompt response. I believe we have covered all of
> the steps you indicate below.

Yea, someone should steal that troubleshooting list and throw it on the wiki.
Might be useful to Nick if he publishes an update to the module authoring
volume.

> Attached please find a tar file that contains
> a simple C++ module and a makefile to build it.
>
> Our test server http.conf has a LoadModule line for the module and then the
> following set of directory sections:
>
> <Directory /foo>
>   dirConfig /foo
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory />
>   dirConfig /
> </Directory>
>
> <Directory /foo/bar>
>   dirConfig /foo/bar
> </Directory>
>
> When we execute the server, we see this on the console:
> # bin/apachectl start
> Created dirConfig for context: unset
> Created dirConfig for context: /foo/
> Inserted dirConfig with message: /foo
> Created dirConfig for context: /
> Inserted dirConfig with message: /
> Created dirConfig for context: /foo/bar/
> Inserted dirConfig with message: /foo/bar
> Created dirConfig for context: unset
>
> And this in the log:
> Merged config: unset:/
> hookFunc: for request /foo/bar/foo.html the context is: unset:/
>
> We do not see any other messages. The file /foo/bar/foo.html exists and the
> browser displays it. This suggests that the merge sequence for the last
> directory section stopped with the configuration for the “/” section.
> Perhaps you could point out what would cause this behavior?

As I mentioned when I had a chance to teach this material, server
configs are almost
exclusively allocated at startup time out of the pconf - configuration
pool.  It is a pool
whose contents should -never- change for the lifetime of the server
worker processes.
But it *does* change in the parent process, when a restart is
requested, the existing
pconf is dumped and a new pconf is allocated, and the configuration is re-read.

But dir configs are a different beast, they may be created at runtime
(for example,
.htaccess file contents), merged for the top request, all internal
redirects, and all
of the subrequests (mod_autoindex or mod_dav_fs can cause thousands of these
to present just one file listing).  They absolutely must be allocated
from the pool
passed to the create() or merge() handler.

In your C++ code, you have;

void * dirConfig::create_dc( apr_pool_t * pool, char * context )
{
  // Create the configuration object.
  dirConfig * cfg = new dirConfig();
  if (NULL == cfg)
  {
    // An allocation error.
    return NULL;
  }
  // Keep the context name.
  std::string temp = "unset";

  if (NULL != context)
  {
    temp = context;
  }
  cfg->setContext( temp );

  std::cerr << "Created dirConfig for context: " << temp << std::endl;
  return (void *) cfg;
}

Here's the first problem... you allocated dirConfig() but didn't allocate this
from the given pool.  You then returned a naked pointer to the C++ object,
and I have no idea offhand whether that permanently increases the object's
use count, or whether the dirConfig object is then released immediately
upon the return from the create_dc function.

You can register a pool cleanup against this pool which destroys the
given dirConfig, but that would be a costly proposition performance-wise.
Do this only if it must be a managed type, and that should only be for
your per-request or per-connection objects.  You should handle these
httpd structures (server config, dir config, etc) as unmanaged "C" data
and let the pool schema perform your cleanups for you.

You probably want to start with this change to watch lifetimes;
dirConfig::~dirConfig()
{
  std::cerr << "Destroyed dirConfig of context: " << _context << std::endl;
}

You also may want to watch your objects a little more closely by emitting
the memory address of 'this' itself, so you can determine that the object
being modified is the object created, both in your directive handler and
in the merge function, etc.

Maybe another dev/user who has coded some C++ modules can offer
some more ideas and insight here.  I wrote mod_aspdotnet under MS
managed C++.NET years ago and ran into many issues where I had
to properly unbox and re-box the managed data when passing it back
and forth from unmanaged httpd "C" code.  That source code lives
http://sourceforge.net/p/mod-aspdotnet/code/HEAD/tree/mod_aspdotnet2/trunk/
if it is of some help to compare how I handled similar issues.

Enjoy your weekend...

Yours,

Bill