On 02.12.2015 23:05, Nick Kew wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 22:11:20 +0100
Klaus Darilion <klaus.mailingli...@pernau.at> wrote:

[ ...]

A puzzle indeed.

Although the DB returns the same password-hash as always, and the
browser sends the correct credentials (as in the working scenario),
Apache replies with 401.

Klaus,

You should try Nick's suggestions for debugging (varying the parameters) first. But just in case: I recall that a handful of memory allocation bugs in authn_dbd (and related code) were fixed earlier this year.

My experience was with SQLite, not PostgreSQL, but we also saw nondeterministic authn failures that went away after we cherry-picked several patches from the latest httpd version. If you have the means to update versions easily (or if you just get desperate enough), you might check to see if that fixes your problem.

Good luck,
--Jacob