Thanks for the reply..
Ubuntu 14.04 has partial systemd, but still uses upstart for kicking
off daemons.. I've heard that in 16.04 will be the first LTS with full
systemd.. It does appear that upstart is whats complaining about it
taking longer than 20 seconds to start apache, but after seeing that
warning, I see all of the necessary apache processes, and access to
the webserver seems to work fine, but then if I try to stop apache via
upstart it complains about other apache pids its not aware of and
refuses to stop apache.... Waiting on a reply on AskUbuntu about
this...

Thanks
Dave