I have written a very simple pair of cgi scripts in python that display a
toggle switch either
in the up position, or in the down position. When you click on the switch, it
toggles between
the two and switches between the images appropriately. At least that is what it
is supposed
to do.

The problem presented itself as the switch always being in the down position,
no matter
how I toggled and switched between the cgi scripts.

Here is the down
and here is the up.

I checked in the browser debugger and the cgi scripts were trying to send the
proper images.
I tried the in the Mac OS X based Safari and Chrome and had identical results.

When I eventually gave up and used different switch images, the problem went
away, so it
is my best guess that there is something pathological about the binary contents
of the images
making the Web Server send a cached version of the down switch image instead of
the up
switch image that is needed.