> > Mutex file:${APACHE_LOCK_DIR} default
>
> Does it come from Ubuntu?
> If so, I don't any modern Linux should configure the "file" mutex
> mechanism by default, and you could possibly report it...

Yes, that is the entry of Ubuntu 14 ("Trusty") default apache2.conf file, see
http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/trusty/apache2
there the linked file
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/apache2/apache2_2.4.7-1ubuntu4.5.debian.tar.gz
in the tarball the file
/debian/config-dir/apache2.conf

> Honestly I don't know how "fnctl" works on Linux, but I'd recommend
> using no Mutex directive at all (same as "Mutex default") which falls
> back to "Mutex sysvsem default" given your output of apachectl (i.e.
> "-D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE"), or possibly "Mutex pthread default"
> which is the most efficient on Linux IMHO (also robust, leaks free on
> crashes).
Great, thanks, I think we will try without Mutex directive. So if apache2ctl -V
gives
 -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
then the first is taken as default?

I just checked what is the active Mutex:

#apache2ctl -t -D DUMP_RUN_CFG
ServerRoot: "/etc/apache2"
Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www"
Main ErrorLog: "/var/log/apache2/error.log"
Mutex watchdog-callback: using_defaults
Mutex rewrite-map: using_defaults
Mutex ssl-stapling: using_defaults
Mutex proxy: using_defaults
Mutex ssl-cache: using_defaults
Mutex default: dir="/var/lock/apache2" mechanism=fcntl
Mutex mpm-accept: using_defaults
PidFile: "/var/run/apache2/apache2.pid"
Define: DUMP_RUN_CFG
Define: ENABLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN
User: name="www-data" id=33
Group: name="www-data" id=33

It looks strange to me that fcntl is used but no files exist in
/var/lock/apache2

> Hopefully, the "file" mechanism is not suitable anyway or modern OS.
Thanks for the info!