I don’t know if and how this can be accomplished.

Scenario:

Two directories, parent and child.
parent is in a virtual host “container”.
child is a symbolic link to an application default core distribution directory (php objects).
./parent/child contains a default config.php file.
./parent contains a custom config.php file.

DocumentRoot points to ./parent/child.

Can the various features of Apache, .htaccess, <Directory>, <File>, Alias, etc., be configured to effectively override ./child/config.php to ./parent/config.php?

In other words, I want to substitute the custom file for the default version. In IBM OS/400 world, this can be easily accomplished with the Override with DataBase File command . . .something like:

     OVRDBF FILE(child/config.php) TOFILE(parent/config.php)