Great! That is just what I needed. Appreciate the prompt response.

-Brandon

From: "David Benfell" <dbenf...@gmail.com>
To: "users" <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2016 11:27:38 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 listening on 80(http) and 443(https)

On 04/01/2016 09:00 PM, Brandon L. Wisenburg wrote:

Hi Everyone!
I have converted my website to SSL, and I go the virtual host setup and SSL
working in Apache. When someone uses http://domain.com they get a connection
refused, because of course the server isn't listening on 80, as i have it setup
for SSL (443)

How would I make apache listen on http(80), but re-direct anyone that hits http
to https.

Is it possible to have apache listen on both 80 and 443?

Yes, absolutely. I do this routinely for all my sites. I have a highly
compartmentalized configuration but hopefully you'll get the gist of it. This
is what I use at the top level for parts-unknown.org:

Listen 50.250.218.163:80
Listen 50.250.218.163:443
<VirtualHost 50.250.218.163:80>
Include sites-available/parts-unknown.org-common
Include sites-available/force-ssl-common
Include sites-available/parts-unknown.org-log-common
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost 50.250.218.163:443>
Include sites-available/parts-unknown.org-common
Include sites-available/ssl-common
Include sites-available/parts-unknown.org-log-common
</VirtualHost>

As you can see, I have multiple Listen declarations and multiple virtual hosts.
But the real magic (which probably isn't so magical if you actually understand
this stuff) is in force-ssl-common:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
ReWriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} !^443$
RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://% {HTTP_HOST}/$1 [NC,R,L]
</IfModule>

I don't use SNI basically because I started hosting these sites before SNI was
widely available and even when it started becoming widely available it seemed
broken (I gather this is no longer the case). I don't know how or if that would
change this configuration.
--
David Benfell, Ph.D. benf...@parts-unknown.org