They key in the OP is here:

"I've compiled Apache HTTPD 2.4.18 with the following options:
cd /basedir/installers/httpd-2.4.18
OPENSSLDIR=/basedir/openssl/1.0.2g \" <-----

You compiled httpd against openssl 1.0.2g , so it is normal you have to add
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use it and if you don't apache will look for the ssl
libs in needs in the paths it has (your system's)