A configuration management tool (like Puppet, for example) may be a better
fit for what you are looking for.
I have implemented this solution at a state university - email me off the
list if you want specifics.

That said, can you be more specific about what you are trying to do?
Are you trying to include a different file depending on the hostname of the
machine?
Can you always have that config file named local.conf (or similar) and
include it everywhere else?
Alternatively, you might be able to pass the name you want on the startup
command (-D) and use it in the config -
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#define.

- Y