Reviving this thread …

This would mean that every vhost will needs its own common.conf file, which, on
a server with thousands of vhosts, will make for expensive loads of the
configuration file.

mod_macro in 2.4 is another route we may explore, but we have some really
complex vhost templating logic that would be difficult to port.

All the same, would it not make sense to decouple the SNI logic from the
vhosts? Just thinking at a conceptual level, there seems no particular reason
why these entities are combined in the configuration.

Are there plugin controls that would facilitate control of the SSL certificate
sent to the browser? Or would a change like this really need to be in Apache
itself?

Thank you!

-FG