Hello,

So, the need to make sense of this is not an issue: I will be using the
mod_proxy_fcgi to use php-fpm.  I am just curious.

While trying various configurations to get php-fpm to work, I found the
following conundrum: the following configuration should NOT work but it does...

Here is the apache configuration snippet derived from this site
<https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/apache-with-php-fpm-on-ubuntu-16-04/>
dated last August.
        <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
                Require all granted
         </Directory>
         <IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
                AddHandler php7-fcgi .php
                Action php7-fcgi /php7-fcgi virtual
                Alias /php7-fcgi /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php7-fcgi
                FastCgiExternalServer /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php7-fcgi -socket
/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock -pass-header Authorization
        </IfModule>

Here is the php-fpm www pool socket definition as configured out-of-the-box:
        listen = /run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock

My test php script calls phpinfo() only.  It works.  It’s not clear how it
works.
        Apache opens /var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock
        php-fpm opens /run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock
        removal of either file causes php not to work.
        When I point apache to the socket file php-fpm opens, it does not work.

HOW?  How does apache manage to connect to php-fpm when the defined socket
paths do not make sense?  As far as I know, the unix socket file is simply
opened and read/written to: there’s no way to tell linux “connect both files to
each other” from within a program...

Thanks for your time!

Jason Brooks    Systems Administrator
eROI    Performance is Art.

m:      505 nw couch #300       w:      eroi.com <http://eroi.com/>
t:      503.290.3105    f:      503.228.4249

fb:     fb.com/eROI <http://www.facebook.com/eROI>