I load balance two Apache Tomcat instances (5.5.27 - jdk 1.5.0_22) with
mod_proxy.
Intermittently the Content-Type header of the response does not relate to
the actual content type. Instead we receive "text/plain".

When connecting directly to the Tomcat http port, instead of going through
the Apache balancer, we do not experience this problem.

Server info:
CentOS release 5.3 (Final) 32bits
Server version: Apache/2.2.3 (httpd-2.2.3-92.el5.centos)
Server built:   Jul 18 2016 10:51:39

I know the version is old, but we cannot update to 2.4 because this is a
production server.

The proxy configuration:

<Proxy balancer://clusteraeprod-scae/>
        BalancerMember http://aepru01:8081 route=nodo1
        BalancerMember http://aepru02:8081 route=nodo2
        ProxySet stickysession=JSESSIONID
</Proxy>

<Location /cm>
        ProxyPass balancer://clusteraeprod-scae/cm
        ProxyPassReverse http://aepru01:8081/cm
        ProxyPassReverse http://aepru02:8081/cm
</Location>

I'm unable to find any information whether this is a known bug.
If not, what can we do to try to locate the problem?

Thanks in advance.