On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Adam Teale <a...@believe.tv> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been trying to setup a reverse proxy to a localhost websocket url.
>
> ProxyPass /chat/stream/ wss://localhost:8000/chat/stream/
> ProxyPassReverse /chat/stream/ wss://localhost:8000/chat/stream/
>
> I get an error in the apache error_log that reads:
>
> No protocol handler was valid for the URL /chat/stream/. If you are using a
> DSO version of mod_proxy, make sure the proxy submodules are included in the
> configuration using LoadModule.
>
> I have read a lot of pages via google of people using this method so I
> wonder if there is some issue in our setup/install of Apache that ships with
> Mac OS X 10.11 & Server.app 5.2?
>
> I have all the standard modules loaded in httpd_server_app.conf
>
> LoadModule proxy_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy.so
> LoadModule proxy_http_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy_http.so
> LoadModule proxy_wstunnel_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy_wstunnel.so
>
> When I access the application running on localhost:8000 directly on the
> server everything works fine
>
> Any ideas what could be going on?

There is a bug in this area, but you need to decide what you expect to
happen with non-websockets requests to /chat/stream/ which is what's
happening here.

If you intend to proxy it, you might need to change the LoadModule
order of mod_proxy_http and mod_proxy_wstunnel to try to get a
different order at runtime.

If you expect to satisfy it somehow else... you have a bit of a
puzzler.  I'm not sure there's a good recipe for this.  Otherwise as
Yann said, you should use different URLs if you can.