Hi Nick,

> Otherwise, it would be pretty trivial to implement as a
> custom module.

Okay, I will have a look at.
I assume that is the starting point to use:
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/modguide.html

>> * Dependend on the identifier (if logged in successfull) a host and
>> port should be chossen. I assume this could be realized by a simple
>> CGI script that (e.g. look into an database) and set host and port
>> session variables. That session variables should be visible (readable
>> / writable) by the server only (mod_session_dbd?).
>
> That won't work.  A CGI request is not a Proxy request.  They are
> separate backends to the server.

What won't work?
Let's assume all but a special location (e.g. /control) is proied.
The special location is handled locally.
This location could contain the login formular and CGI scripts.
The example
"https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_session.html#basicexamples";
seems that it is possible to inject variables.
But I assume you would point me that the server behing the proxy
cannot inject session variables to the session handled by HTTPD.
Correct?

Best regards,
Markus