> Hi Mike,

>> I’m trying to configure apache 2.4 to show nice error pages to external
>> users of our web site, while allowing staff to see the real error.   The
>> idea is to prevent exposing privileged information to the general public
>> while allowing our staff to more easily debug issues on our production web
>> site.   To accomplish this I am using a combination of ErrorDocument within
>> an If statement that evaluates the header X-Real-IP which is the IP address
>> of the client on my server.
>>

>> This seems to work, until I nest the If statements to catch all the IP
>> ranges that I am interested in.
>>

>> For example…
>>
>> <If  "! %{HTTP:X-Real-IP}  -ipmatch '172.28.1.84/32' ">
>>
>>   ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404
>>
>> </If>
>>
>> will correctly show the nice 404 page for a user coming from 172.28.1.84.
>>

>> Using this, the same user coming from 172.28.1.84 sees the nice error
>> page.
>>
>> <If  "! %{HTTP:X-Real-IP}  -ipmatch '127.0.0.0/8' ">
>>
>>   ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404
>>
>> </If>
>>

>> Simmilarly the same user gets the nice error page when this code is used.
>>
>> <If  "! %{HTTP:X-Real-IP}  -ipmatch '192.168.0.0/16' ">
>>
>>   ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404
>>
>> </If>
>>

>> The problem comes when I combine these 2 so that all users except those
>> coming from 127.*.*.* or 192.168.*.* see the nice error page.
>>
>> <If  "! %{HTTP:X-Real-IP}  -ipmatch '127.0.0.0/8' ">
>>
>>   <If  "! %{HTTP:X-Real-IP}  -ipmatch '192.168.0.0/16' ">
>>
>>     ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404
>>
>>   </If>
>>
>> </If>
>>
>> The user from 172.28.1.84 does not get the nice 404 page, but the default
>> 404 page.   The IP does not match either of the ranges as observed when
>> using the ranges individually, but when combined in this way it does not
>> work as expected.
>>

>> Any ideas why this is?
>>

> I reproduced your use case and from the error_log (trace8) I can see that
> with nested <If>s the second one seems not evaluated (or more precisely,
> its expression is not). In the beginning I thought it was a peculiarity of
> how the ErrorDocument core directive settings are merged between sections,
> but it seems not the case.
>
> From my point of view, a container like <If> should be used like other
> similar directives like <Directory> and <Location>, where this use case
> would look a bit weird. The <If> naming brings up conventions that we use
> in traditional programming languages, so this might be the source of the
> confusion.
>
> For your specific use case, I'd have done something like the following:
>
> <If  "! %{HTTP:X-Real-IP}  -ipmatch '192.168.0.0/16'  || !
> %{HTTP:X-Real-IP}  -ipmatch '192.168.0.0/16' ">
>     ErrorDocument 404 "My awesome error"
> </If>
>
> or maybe using <ElseIf>/<Else>.

> [...]

It took me a while (and I forgot to update the list) but I double checked
and currently httpd does not allow nested <If> sections. I updated the
following doc pages to warn users:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/sections.html
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#if ("Not a scripting
language")

I am currently investigating if
http://home.apache.org/~elukey/httpd-trunk-core-nested_if_blocks.patch
solves the problem; if anybody wants to help testing please let me know :)
(you can apply the patch to the latest 2.4.x branch cleanly and recompile).

Thanks!

Luca