Reading several sources there is conflicting information as to what is the
preferred way to implement PHP scripts.  It appears that mod_php (how we do
things now) is deprecated so I would like to take advantage of a server
change to do things "right".

The documentation on mod_fcgid seems to stop in 2013 with the release of
version 2.3.9, so I assume that this is no longer considered to be a good
approach.

The link to mod_fastcgi on the Apache documentation page leads to a static
billboard page for Chelsea Networks with no links and a last maintained
date in 2002, so it doesn't seem to be current either.  This page says to
use Netscape to view it (?)

mod_proxy_fcgi seems to be in current use, but right up front is the caveat
that there is no starter for the script.  My guess would be that some sort
of a wrapper is required to insert the path to the executable, but no
documentation has appeared so far.

Using mod_proxy_fcgi also raises the issue of what to proxy to.  The PHP
installation (version 7.1.3) includes a php-fpm module but the
documentation for it on the PHP web site is rather sparse - ie non-
existent.  A Google search comes up with a web site php-fpm.org, but the
last entry on the news page is 29 Nov, 2011.  Doesn't sound like this is
the preferred path!  The support link here says "Wiki is now offline, sorry.
Use PHP 5.3.3+ now, and use php.net!".  This is a very back level of PHP!

So, how is the best way to proceed?

As always, thanks to those who will respond.

Regards,

John