I posted a work-around for Apache-2.4.25 with mod_fcgid running PHP 7.1.3
returning "File Not Found"  errors when the php file was available on
Tuesday, 18 April.

Seems things aren't quite that simple!

The relevant line in the php-ini file is in display_errors and I suggested
changing it to 'On' which seems to allow the .php file to be read.

This works ONLY when the line is syntactically wrong!    For example:

display_errors = On

will fail with a File Not Found error

     display_errors = On    <<< changed on installation 22/3/2017

works fine, even though it is syntactically correct.  It also throws the
errors on the output browser screen which I very much don't want.

The actual PHP errors that I am used to seeing in the Apache error_log file
are missing in action at the moment, which makes debugging very difficult
indeed!

Can anyone suggest how to resolve this problem?  I have a new server that
just cannot go online until I get these issues resolved.

Thanks in advance.

John