Testing by telnet is a good hint, thanks!
But I'm not sure how to send half a request...

I see now what SS is for, thanks.
But if we take that column SS out of the picture and let's say I'm
reloading server-status periodically and see that
 - a request comes in, status is Reading
 - refreshing server-status in every secs and see the very same request in
the same Reading state
 - I can see this pending Reading status for 2-3 minutes
Then what does this mean?

As you wrote
 >  The status goes from READ to WRITE "shortly after" the headers have been
completely read by Apache.
for me this sounds like Apache is trying to read req. headers during that
time.
I would assume this is not a problem in Apache, but probably due to client
or network issues "only" and also has nothing to do with the slowly dying
Weblogic behind.
What do you think?