Hello,

This is on a ubuntu 16.04 LTS system running apache 2.4.18 (mpm_event) with php
7.0 running in php-fpm mode.

I wish to completely block access to a directory in my document root except to
a set of ip addresses but it’s not working and I am trying to figure out what
is happening.

My .htaccess settings only seem to apply when only accessing the directory, but
not when I access a file IN that directory.

Is there a setting that allows access to files if explicitly referenced to in
the url?

Here are my tests:

        Directory name: <documentroot>/opcache
        .htaccess contents: “require all denied”

        access to https://<myserver>/opcache is forbidden (OK!)

        access to https”//<myserver>/opcache/test.php is allowed. (What?)

The same thing happens if I don’t use a .htaccess file but instead define a
<Directory> section in my apache config.

Why would this happen?

—jason

Jason Brooks    Systems Administrator
eROI    Performance is Art.

m:      505 nw couch #300       w:      eroi.com <http://eroi.com/>
t:      503.290.3105    f:      503.228.4249

fb:     fb.com/eROI <http://www.facebook.com/eROI>