Hi Martin,

> Hi,
>
>  this is for httpd-2.4.26 with the mpm_worker_module. I have one practical
> and one more theoretical question.
>
> First, is there a way to determine the maximum number of concurrent
> requests that have been processed at any time since the last server
> (re)start?

I would periodically poll
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_status.html and push metrics to a
backend like graphite/prometheus/etc.

> Second, if I have the default configuration and I ever want to increase
> MaxRequestWorkers above 400 my understanding is that I need to either
> increase ServerLimit or ThreadsPerChild (or adjust both). Which should I
> touch first (why :-)?
>

>From https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/worker.html:

"ServerLimit is a hard limit on the number of active child processes, and
must be greater than or equal to the MaxRequestWorkers directive divided by
the ThreadsPerChild directive."

Basically mpm_worker creates some processes (maximum ServerLimit) that in
turn spawn ThreadsPerChild threads each, so you need to tune them to reach
MaxRequestWorkers.

Hope that helps :)

Luca