I added these lines inside the <VirtualHost *:443> block:

<Directory /var/www/html/graphs>
        Require ip 192.168.40.80
</Directory>

But a test revealed I was able to wget graphs/test.html on a different
machine (192.168.40.81).

I've only read the documentation.  Practically every non-Apache website
still uses Order-Allow-Deny methodologies, so it's still not clear how
this is actually done in practice.  Why did this not work?
Most likely it is overridden by other Directory or Location or some other kind of block somewhere in your configuration. Try to replace <Directory /var/www/html/graphs> with <Location /graphs> to be closer to the end of pipeline as described here: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/sections.html#merging

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili