Yes, this is definitely an area where the server can and should be
improved. Marat already provided the link to the article discussing
this last year and the situation is unchanged, unfortunately. Not for
lack of recognition of the problem, but more a lack of time and
effort, I think.

What I do on my servers (beside what you already wrote) is

        SSLStaplingCache        dbm:ocsp-stapling

use a permanent cache, so a restart of the server does not require
it to refetch all responses.

-Stefan