On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 9:11 AM, David Horton
<dave_horton2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I want to authenticate/authorize primarily via LDAP and require a specific
> group membership if authenticating this way.
> However, if LDAP is not available, use the file provider to authenticate.  If
> that's the case, any user authenticated via the file provider should be
> allowed.
>
> Current config is as follows.  The problem is that the valid-user gets
> applied to ldap users so the group check is bypassed.
>
>     <RequireAny>
>         <RequireAll>
>             AuthBasicProvider file
>             AuthUserFile <some file>
>             Require valid-user
>         </RequireAll>
>         <RequireAll>
>             AuthBasicProvider ldap
>             AuthLDAPUrl "<some url>" STARTTLS
>             AuthLDAPBindDN "<some DN>"
>             AuthLDAPBindPassword <password>
>             Require ldap-group <some group>
>         </RequireAll>
>     </RequireAny>
>
> Sanitised debug log extract with the user removed from the LDAP group below.
>
> mod_authnz_ldap.c(516): ... AH01691: auth_ldap authenticate: using URL
> ldap://<REDACTED>, referer: <REDACTED>
> mod_authnz_ldap.c(613): ... AH01697: auth_ldap authenticate: accepting
> <REDACTED>, referer: <REDACTED>
> mod_authz_core.c(809): ... AH01626: authorization result of Require all
> denied: denied, referer: <REDACTED>
> mod_authz_core.c(809): ... AH01626: authorization result of Require
> valid-user : granted, referer: <REDACTED>
> mod_authz_core.c(809): ... AH01626: authorization result of <RequireAll>:
> granted, referer: <REDACTED>
> mod_authz_core.c(809): ... AH01626: authorization result of <RequireAny>:
> granted, referer: <REDACTED>
>
> I can replace valid-user with the set of users in the file, or use group file
> and put them all in a group but is there a way of getting valid-user to only
> apply to the file authentication provider?  When I found that the provider
> could be specified inside the RequireXYZ tags I expected the config above to
> do the trick but it seems not.
>
> Am I missing something obvious or is it simply not intended to work this way?

It is not intended to work this way.  But there is hope since LDAP
authn leaves a paper trail.

You may be able to detect if LDAP has done the authentication by
reading the AUTHENTICATE_ variables described by mod_authnz_ldap in a
"Require expr" or "Require [not] env" wrapped in RequireAll to
implement your two cases.