Thanks for the reply.

According to the following output, mod_rewrite is installed
root@webshub:/var/www/html# apachectl -M
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to
suppress this message
Loaded Modules:
 core_module (static)
 so_module (static)
 watchdog_module (static)
 http_module (static)
 log_config_module (static)
 logio_module (static)
 version_module (static)
 unixd_module (static)
 access_compat_module (shared)
 alias_module (shared)
 auth_basic_module (shared)
 authn_core_module (shared)
 authn_file_module (shared)
 authz_core_module (shared)
 authz_host_module (shared)
 authz_user_module (shared)
 autoindex_module (shared)
 deflate_module (shared)
 dir_module (shared)
 env_module (shared)
 filter_module (shared)
 mime_module (shared)
 mpm_prefork_module (shared)
 negotiation_module (shared)
 php7_module (shared)
 reqtimeout_module (shared)
 rewrite_module (shared)
 setenvif_module (shared)
 status_module (shared)
root@webshub:/var/www/html# vim .htaccess
root@webshub:/var/www/html# cat .htaccess
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
root@webshub:/var/www/html# service apache2 restart

Then on my laptop, I can access the web installer without any error

mahmood@orca:~$ wget http://w.x.y.z
--2018-06-03 23:27:41--  http://w.x.y.z/
Connecting to w.x.y.z:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://w.x.y.z/install [following]
--2018-06-03 23:27:41--  http://w.x.y.z/install
Reusing existing connection to 5.57.36.104:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://w.x.y.z/install/rules [following]
--2018-06-03 23:27:41--  http://w.x.y.z/install/rules
Reusing existing connection to w.x.y.z:80.
Length: 6952 (6.8K) [text/html]
Saving to: ‘index.html’

index.html               100%[==================================>]   6.79K
--.-KB/s    in 0.006s

2018-06-03 23:27:41 (1.07 MB/s) - ‘index.html’ saved [6952/6952]

The app documents doesn't say anything about htaccess. I have to say that on a
web server which is working for some years, I was able to see the web installer
and I didn't create any .htaccess file. I don't know but maybe the web server
admins had installed some other things before and the results was that I was
able to see the installer.

Now, I am working on a fresh ubuntu 1804. So, surely some configs are missing.
Though .htaccess is the solution, but I would like to know if there is any NON
.htaccess solution either.

Regards,
Mahmood

    On Sunday, June 3, 2018, 11:20:44 PM GMT+4:30, Riemer Palstra