In a nutshell, you need to:

1) Define a front-facing vhost. You can use DNS and name-based vhosts to
reach it
2) Decide what URI path you want to proxy in that vhost
3) If you proxy / (i.e. every request), then you don't need a DocumentRoot
in that vhost. Otherwise, you need one
4) You don't need to use DNS to specify the target of your backend server.
ProxyPass / http://IP_HERE:PORT/ is perfectly fine.
5) I actually recommend that you do not use DNS to reach the proxied
server, initially. Keep things simple first.