A recent change to mod_reqtimeout (2.4.39) is causing large uploads to sporadically fail on my production server with a client error:

|ajp_read_into_msg_buff::jk_ajp_common.c (1553): (main_ajp13_worker) receiving data from client failed. Connection aborted or network problems|

This is happening partway though chunked PUT requests to mod_jk.

From the changelog:

  *) mod_reqtimeout: Allow to configure (TLS-)handshake timeouts.

     PR 61310. [Yann Ylavic]

My short-term workarounds for this problem are:

a. Downgrade to httpd-2.4.38 (not recommended, see changelog for 7 CVEs)

b. Comment out the LoadModule line for mod_reqtimeout

For details, please see:

https://serverfault.com/q/972680/293818

Questions:

1. Was there any accompanying documentation for this change?

2. What configuration options are available to adjust this timeout?

3. Why does this result in a client error instead of a timeout error?

4. Has anyone else experienced this problem?