Greetings,

In my development environment on a Windows 10 PC I have added the following to
Apache's configuration files -

To httpd.conf:
Listen 8080

To httpd-vhosts.conf:
<VirtualHost *:8080>
    DocumentRoot "Z:/files/xampp/htdocs"
<Directory "Z:/files/xampp/htdocs">
 Options Indexes
 Require all granted
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Note that Z: is mapped to an external storage device.

With this setup, Apache successfully accesses C: on port 80 and Z: on port
8080.  However, if the external storage device is not attached to the computer,
Apache will not start.  Is there a way to check if Z: is present, and only
create the virtual host if that device is plugged in so that Apache always
starts?  If so, how can this be achieved?