mod_ssl does no special SHA-1 check. What you see is the error message from
openssl itself (wrapped in a log number thing for tracability). So, the
question is why your openssl is ok with what your apache linked openssl denies.

I found at
https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man3/SSL_CTX_set_security_level.html

"The default security level can be configured when OpenSSL is compiled by
setting -DOPENSSL_TLS_SECURITY_LEVEL=level. If not set then 1 is used."

and

"WARNING at this time setting the security level higher than 1 for general
internet use is likely to cause considerable interoperability issues and is not
recommended. This is because the SHA1 algorithm is very widely used in
certificates and will be rejected at levels higher than 1 because it only
offers 80 bits of security."

This looks to me as if at least your openssl library was compiled or is
configured with a higher security level (there are ways to do that even for
individual applications, see /usr/lib/ssl/openssl.cnf.

Anyways, there is nothing special that apache adds here that I know of. I think
you need someone with more deeper knowledge of the ubuntu openssl
setup/compilation than I can provide.

Stefan