On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 8:45 AM Richard
<lists-apa...@listmail.innovate.net> wrote:

> > Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 07:00:07 -0600
> > From: o1bigtenor <o1bigte...@gmail.com>

> >> If you're trying to serve your content via http, which appears to
> >> be your goal, then to serve it out on different ports - without
> >> using the apache virtual host configuration - you'd need to have
> >> multiple instances of apache running. That's possible, but very
> >> ugly.
> >
> > OK - - - - Mr Richard suggests that I use different ports but
> > further offers that using different hostnames offers a 'cleaner'
> > solution. If I'm understanding
> > this all correctly meaning using vhosts and multiple hostnames.
> >
> > You're suggesting just use different ports.
>
> I am *NOT* suggesting that you use different ports, in any context.

What I read was: "If you're trying to serve your content via http, which
appears to be your goal, then to serve it out on different ports - without
using . . .   ."  so I'm confused - - - - you seem to be contradicting
yourself.

> Setting things up to use different ports for apache, outside the
> context of apache vhosts is not something that you would want to try.

I've had far too much 'joy' already trying to do the 'simple stuff' -= -  -
trying to put off the 'not simple stuff'.

> Within the context of apache vhosts you don't need to use different
> ports as you can simply use different hostnames and a "name-based
> virtual host" setup.
>

> >> You may want to read the apache virtual host documentation:
> >>
> >>   <https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/>
> >
> > I had read that page quite a few times before - - - in the
> > tradition of excellent LInux documentation that page is a wonderful
> > example. All information needful to a skilled practitioner is
> > included but for one who isn't highly skilled there are little to
> > no examples and definitely no context. That means that one who is
> > working through things for a first time  - - - - - well the
> > information isn't terribly helpful.
> >>
> >> Any number of hostnames (unique or sub-domains) can resolve to the
> >> same ipnumber, the responding software simply needs to know how to
> >> handle things, assuming that different responses are necessary.
> >> Look at the "name-based virtual host" information in the vhosts
> >> documentation. [A machine can also have multiple ipnumbers assigned
> >> to it.]
> >>
> > I understand that multiple ips can be assigned to a machine - - - -
> > my server, but not my server test box, actually has 4 nics
> > available.
> >
> > So I'm coming back to my previous question - - - - how do I set up
> > different FQDNs (hostnames) on 'one' machine?
> >

> Simply point multiple hostnames to a single IPnumber - either through
> dns or /etc/hosts -- depending on your specific needs (and what you
> can control). Then configure the server-side application, e.g.,
> apache, to handle the hostnames as desired. Note, with apache, if
> you're using SSL (i.e., https/443) this is a bit more complicated.
>
> [if needed, multiple IPnumbers can be assigned to the same NIC, but
> you'll want to talk with your networking people on how to do that.]

As I get to - - - have to - - - wear all the hats here I would like to leave
somethinhg like this for another - - -month - - - - would like to get
this stuff
working first and then try more advanced stuff. Trying to run two applications
on the same server is proving to be 'joy' a plenty!

Regards